Friday 14 December 2012

Uganda



Home 2005; Hummel

Uganda football shirt

I don't want to sound like I'm boasting, but given I am trying to do this whole thing as cheaply as possible, I am delighted to have picked this up on Ebay for €20.  Including the postage form Germany.  I've seen a few knocking around, but they always go for more.  And why not?  It is a beauty of a shirt.  I have seen it on oldfootballshirts listed as 02-03, but Football-Uniform   say it is 05, so I am going with that.  Perhaps it was worn for a few years.  For a start, I love Hummel. They have been responsible for some of the greatest shirts of all time. And I would put this on into the category. The design is taken from the Uganda's flag (above) and works really well.  And then we have the big "UGANDA" on the front, I'm a sucker for countries who stick their name on the front.  It seems to be more common in Africa than anywhere else.  

The crest features some fine looking birds, namely the grey crowed crane, which also can be found on the flag of Uganda and lends itself to the team's "Cranes" nickname.  "UGANDA" and the crest are sublimated, but the Hummel logo and sleeve chevrons are a felt material. FUFU also sounds like it belongs n some sort of FIFA satire sketch.  

The Uganda team themselves have never made the break-through onto the World Cup stage, and a second place at the 1978 ACN was the last time they were seen on the pan-continental stage.  That is not to say they are losers, far from it.  They have won a whopping 12 CECAFA Cups, which is a regional competion for east and central African teams.  And they also took home the 1989 Peace and Friendship Cup from Kuwait.

Uganda football shirt
Uganda football shirt
Uganda football shirt
Uganda football shirt


3 comments:

  1. Is there any way you'd sell this??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I'm not selling at present. Thanks for reading the blog!

      Delete
  2. Would you be willing to sell? I have a sponsor child who is turning 14 in September, and he is crazy about soccer/football! I have been looking everywhere.

    ReplyDelete